Monday, February 22, 2010

Healthy Monday: Brain Fog

The hubby and I are on a little hiatus, so I'm re-posting something I wrote about a year ago. I can safely say that one additional cause of brain fog is pregnancy!! I didn't think it was possible, but at four months pregnant, I'm 100 percent positive I would lose my head if it wasn't attached.
Today's Healthy Living Post is inspired by an article I recently found on Care2 called, "5 Causes of Brain Fog." It got me thinking... when planning a wedding, or any type of event really, it can demand a lot of your attention and it's important to remain organized. Even if you've hired a planner, not being able to think clearly (or not being able to think at all) can really hinder your ability to effectively plan your event. And even though you may feel at times you want to rip your hair out (MIL wants you to choose those invitations?!), you'll ultimately want to enjoy this experience. Below I've summarized the Care2 article for your own perusal, but if you're currently experiencing any of the below, please visit this link for more in depth info and possible solutions.

5 causes of Brian Fog:

1. Stress: Well, this is kind of a no-brainer, but stress can cause a mess! (I've know people who have had one of their arms go numb all because of stress!)

2. Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A fairly recognizable disorder which can cause impaired mental function. Magnesium supplements and light to moderate exercise have been shown to help.

3. Fatigue: Speaking from experience here, being sleepy can cause a lot of typos. You don't want to e-mail your caterer that you need 1000 canapes, when you actually only need 100. So get some sleep - at least 7 to 9 hours a night!

4. Nutrient Deficiencies: We need nutrients. 'nuff said.

5. Depression: Approximately 10 percent of Americans have feelings of depression, so if you think you have it, you're not alone. Seek help here and here.

Photo Credit: Dano

2 comments:

Judy@grammyreads.com said...

Did I miss the pregnancy announcement? Congratulations! I remember the brain fog. I think hormones affect our thinking, too. Love your blog.

Jennifer said...

Hi Judy,

Thank you so much! Oh, yes! I am certain these crazy hormones are affecting my thinking. :)

Warmly,
Jen

Google Analytics Alternative