Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My 2cents

One of my good friends had her wedding last June. And like most brides, the days before her wedding were filled with a frenzy of excitement. Unfortunately, the few days after her wedding were filled with a trip to the ER in Hawaii and a newlywed bliss that started off with the "for worse" part rather than the "for better". Interestingly enough, I also got sick at almost the exact same time as my friend. It was a Monday, I was at work, and it was not fun...

But anyway, my point is that sometimes getting sick can come at the most inopportune times. In fact, isn't that how it always is? We even have a law we blame this kind of thing on: Murphy's Law. So as I've gotten older, I've become more in tune with the nutritional needs of my body. And I was suprised to read in the latest issue of Body and Soul mag that one teaspoon of sugar reduces your immune system by as much as 54%! It's a temporary effect, but if you're eating it all day, it's eventually going to catch up to you. Furthermore, lack of sleep also weakens your immune system. Wedding planning can be stressful, exciting, overwhelming, crazy, exhausting...I'll stop there...but it's important to remember to take care of yourself even amidst all the craziness.

Rather than reaching for the Snickers (trust me, I know it's hard, I've been there) grab a hand full of strawberries instead. Or try blueberries or blackberries, not just because they are lower in fat, but because they're also packed with anti-oxidants, which will help boost your immune system. And unless you don't have to get up until 10 a.m., don't stay awake until 2 a.m. looking for the perfect dress/hairstyle/makeup/flowers to put on your profile/blog (yes, I have been there too) get your bridal bootie in the bed and try to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep. If you stress easily, this will all be even most important on the days closest to your wedding date.

Okay, and you can all laugh at me now because it's 12:19 a.m. and I need to get my newlywed bootie in the bed!

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative