Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Be Creative

I've noticed that since I have a toddler, my imagination has really taken off. For instance, this evening I put her to bed with a story I made up. It involved a little catipillar named "Lilly-Butt" who went to the laundromat everyday just so she could visit the bubblegum machine. One day, Lilly-Butt got a "top" - a suggestion from my daughter - out of the bubblegum machine, rather than a piece of gum, which invariably led her out into an array of different adventures with a wise young owl. I know what you're all thinking: I'm a literary genius! No, it's okay, I'm not really, but please go on with your thoughtful praise! :)






Tavi Gevinson, above, blogger behind StyleRookie.com and founder of Rookie Mag, is one of those people I think we all wish we could've been as kids - she doesn't let what others think get in the way of her creative vision. Though she's 16 or 17 now, she's been posting her videos and style choices on her blog since the age of 13.

Being creative and imaginative is something that I think we all possess when we are children, but for some reason we tend to put skills like those on the back burner as we get older. I'm not sure why really - maybe it's because we are too afraid of what others will think or concerned that the world around us will laugh at something that has come from the heart?

I think it's time we take our creativity out of the closet and wear it like the one-of-a-kind, invaluable accessory that it is! There are all these books and videos and lists about how to be more creative, how to put your mind into the "creative zone," if you will. However, I think all you need to do is just relax and put down the judgemental goggles you think people look at you through. If you're planning a wedding or event, be the creator of your wedding! If you're moving into your first apartment or home together, be the creator of how your abode feels and looks. And finally, this is your life - be the creator of your own goals, dreams, and opinions.




1 comment:

Tamara said...

I love that you featured Tavi. I read Rookie all the time. She fulfills my inner angst-ridden, raspberry blowing Winona Ryder. Love the blog!

Google Analytics Alternative