Monday, October 5, 2009

Healthy Monday: Staying Well


As much as I would like to, it's hard to ignore that pesky H1N1 (swine) flu right now. I recently had a past customer of Earthly Affair reveal to me she had to delay her wedding because of the swine flu. And one of my good friends, who is a teacher, said over 30 kids stayed home because they were sick. I visited a store the other day that had a bottle of big - and I mean really big - liquid hand sanitizer sitting on the checkout counter. "Is this for my hands or should I take a bath in it," I wanted to ask?

It's true that many catch it only to recover uneventfully, but others are hospitalized and for some, it's even fatal. Personally, I vacillate between being super freaked out and merely chalking it up to media hype, but regardless, it's always important to treat your immune system like the well oiled machine that it's supposed to be. (Especially if you've got a wedding coming up!)

Vaccinations or not, here are a few ways to keep your immune system in tip top shape:

- Get some sleep: Sleep allows our bodies to repair cells, which aids in a strong immune system. Experts say that sleep deprivation weakens the immune system, while getting adequate rest serves to boost it.

- Take a walk: Moderate exercise, such as a brisk 30 minute walk three to four times a week is a great way to keep the immune system in shape. Too much exercise though can make you more susceptible to illness.

- Rock out: Listen to music. Okay, yeah, this is a weird one, but according to one study, it works.

- Special potions: Certain herbs have been scientifically proven to beef up the body's defense system, such as Astragalus Root, Olive Leaf extract, and Echinacea.

Sources: DIY How to Keep Your Immune System Strong, Using Your Immune System to Stay Well

Photo: Handmade Tissue Holder by SimplyBeme

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very good advice! As a wedding planner I definitely don't want to get swine flu!

Google Analytics Alternative