Monday, June 2, 2008

Please don't eat me!

Did you see the movie Shark Tale? If you haven't, it's a cute movie and I recommend it. But if you have, then you'll probably remember the scene where Lenny's pop is urging him him to eat the helpless little shrimp (who happens to be pleading for it's life) in an effort to prove that his son really is a tough guy...er..shark. Of course, Lenny, being the sweet, sensitive vegetarian shark that he is opens the restaurant window and frees the little shrimps, while we, the audience, all breath a sigh of relief.

Now, if seafood could talk to us in ways we could understand...well...I don't think we'd be eating it, because that would just be weird. But my point is that if fish could talk, they would probably be telling us some very important things. According to the latest issue of Body and Soul mag, all species of edible fish may be extinct by the year 2048 if we don't change the way we fish. So if you want to offer seafood on your wedding menu, it would be wise to choose a fish that reproduces in large numbers and/or comes from a responsibly maintained fishery. To help you do this, The Environmental Defense Fund and Smithsonian Magazine both have an easy to use web guide to the best, worst, and somewhere in the middle eco-friendly fish out there. EDF even has a downloadable pocket guide perfect for on the go!

Top picture: copyright by Dreamworks Animation (http://www.sharktale.com/)
Bottom pictures: Buckhead Life Restaurant Group, Environmental Defense Fund

2 comments:

style-for-style said...

this topic hits a chord with me (a vegetarian, who's marrying a vegan)

however The parents (who are paying) want meat. "just a tiny bit"-my mom says

I have a bit of time to figure out this situation (july09)

also I should let you know I referenced you in my own blog.
http://style-for-style.blogspot.com/2008/06/illumination.html

If you are not a fan, I will remove it.

Amanda said...

I love this post and want you to know that it helped my FI and I in making a decision as to which types of seafood to serve at our reception. Thanks!

Google Analytics Alternative