Monday, March 14, 2011

Healthy Monday: Let Your Garden Grow


It's time! It's time! Start planning your gardens!

A couple of years ago, I planted tomatoes, corn, onions, lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, and squash. Oh, and watermelon! I can't tell you how satisfying it was to eat fresh watermelon straight from my own garden. And those suckers grow like weeds! (Itty bitty watermelons are pretty cute too.)

my watermelons and tomatoes!

I've planted a garden before (see my onions), but my apprehension this year results in the fact that I have a seven month old and am already pretty stretched when it comes to free time. However, that's not going to stop me from encouraging you to get your thumbs green! Gardening is a great way to increase your access to fruits and vegetables. For instance, you can either pay between $2 and $5 for spinach at the supermarket, or you can get a whole packet of spinach seeds for the same price and have a whole summer's worth of spinach goodness! Plus, you're more likely to eat more veggies if they are coming from your own garden. If you're new to gardening, HGTV has a great list of how-to's and tutorials. Will you be gardening this year? What do you plan to grow?

2 comments:

Katie | Invitations by Ajalon said...

I'm going to plant tomatoes, jalapenos, green and red bell peppers, cucumbers, squash....and spinach now that you mention it! I just moved into a new house with a big garden in back :D

tim said...

These are really some awesome photos. Every detail of the wedding was perfectly executed!!! http://rafeeq.doomby.com/liens.html

Google Analytics Alternative