Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Addressing Invitations With Your Own Two Hands


It was second grade. I was seven. And I was learning cursive for the first time. At the time, I found it marvelously fun. I would practice making a big loopy “J” and then I had seven subsequent letters (to spell out Jennifer, my name) that flowed right into each other. When I graduated to high school, I was super excited to finally be able to use a ballpoint pen, whose smooth ink glided across my college ruled notebook. When it came time to address my invitations though, you would think I would have carried on this love of flourished letters and graceful penmanship, but I didn’t. I’m not sure why I hired a calligrapher to address my invitations. I guess I wanted them to look pretty and I figured since my handwriting wasn't perfect, that was the traditional thing to do. In hindsight though, I think invitations addressed by moi, with imperfections and all, would have been a nice way to incorporate my own personal style. It also would have cost a lot less. This is not to say you shouldn’t hire a calligrapher, which may be helpful if you have a ton of invitations to address, but I suppose the point to this story is that you don’t always have to go the traditional route. Especially if it means not making things perfect.

Photos Clockwise: Addressed invitations from WeddingBee, Hi-Low The Fax, Katy Elliot The Book Cover, Hi-Low Yard Sale Sign, Hi-Low The Fax, Hi-Low Boxing Day.

6 comments:

jennifer said...

Love this - definitely a great way to really personalize your invitations, and too often overlooked.

Walking Barefoot said...

I turned out that one of my sweetie's secret super powers is calligraphy! (and he's not a graphic designer.) He addressed all our envelopes in his own fancy script!

hope chest said...

This must be the sweetest that I will ever do! Writing their invitations! This is something I think the most special.

Suzanne said...

I think addressing invitations in your own handwriting is a great idea!

KellyAnn said...

What a beautiful wedding!

I especially love their invitations. I'm thinking of going with something like that because I got clear address labels from Bachcroft.com and they can go with anything.

Thanks for the post!

KellyAnn said...

What a beautiful wedding!

I especially love their invitations. I'm thinking of going with something like that because I got clear address labels from Bachcroft.com and they can go with anything.

Thanks for the post!

Google Analytics Alternative